Position in firm:
Mechanical Building Services, Rational Fire
Date of birth:
02 August 1966
B.Eng (Mechanical), University of Stellenbosch – 1989
Hon. B (B & A) University of Stellenbosch – 1993
Member of South African Institute of Refrigeration and Air Conditioning (SAIRAC)
Member of the South African Association for Consulting Engineers (SAACE)
Member of the Engineering Council of South Africa (No 940184)
Afrikaans: Mother tongue
English: Speak, write, read
Hennie Karsten co-founded EKCON Engineers and Project Managers in January 1996 after heading the Western Cape Mechanical Department of a well-known multi-disciplinary company.
He has extensive experience in mechanical building services design and provides rational fire design and provides rational fire design expertise country wide. His experience in commercial-, retail-, residential and industrial developments allows him to provide fully integrated mechanical and fire related cost effective solutions to his clients.
He completed his engineering degree in 1989, and started his consulting engineering career immediately thereafter.
He gained extensive experience in a wide variety of building services including:
- Air conditioning and ventilation to various building applications
- Water reticulation and internal sewer systems design.
- Fire protection services and rational fire designs for building
- All Mechanical Engineering services to hospitals
- Transportation systems including lifts and escalators
His industrial related projects experience covers the following:
- Industrial ventilation, air conditioning, evaporative cooling and process cooling
- Steam installations
- Process water installations
- Compressed air installations
- Pump installations
- Pressure vessels and certified high-pressure installations
Project Management also forms an integral part of his experience including the planning, design and installation phases of projects.